“Bridging the gap between the blackboard and the blacktop- Science, Naturally! is an independent press committed to increasing science and math literacy by making potentially intimidating topics intriguing and accessible to scientists of all ages.”
Thanks to the TOS Crew, we recently got the opportunity to review, One Minute Mysteries- 65 More Short Mysteries You Solve with Science. It was written by father-daughter team, Eric and Nancy Yoder who have also authored the books, 65 Short Stories You Solve with Science! and 65 Short Stories You Solve with Math!
The One Minute Mysteries series was written for kids 8-12, but can be enjoyed by kids (and adults) of all ages. The short brain teasers require close listening and use of scientific knowledge and deductive reasoning to solve the mysteries. Each story is written on one page with the solution explained on the back of the page.
65 More Short Mysteries You Can Solve with Science is divided into sections:
- Life Science
- Earth and Space Science
- Physical and Chemical Science
- General Science
- Five More Minutes of Mysteries!
- and a Bonus Section- Mysteries You Solve with Math!
We devoured the 65 More Short Mysteries You Solve with Science! book. My kids love brain teasers and we finished the entire book in record time. We read the mysteries during lunch, dinner, at bedtime, in the car (the kiddos read, I drove), anywhere we were we read.
What we loved:
- I loved that these stories are super short and fun- they kept the kids attention and made them think!!
- The kids loved taking turns trying to solve the mysteries. They were both so excited about “winning” that I finally began making them write their answers down so they wouldn’t yell them out and they each got time to solve them.
- I love that each story incorporates science knowledge and deductive reasoning- both important skills to acquire and use.
What we didn’t love:
- The only thing I didn’t love is that there were only 65 mysteries- we will be purchasing the rest of this series for sure- it’s a keeper!!
Overall we loved this book!! I know any family could benefit from reading these mysteries and they are just plain fun!!
Connect with Science, Naturally!
- Share It -