I admit it… I have an addiction.
It’s actually really quite shameful!
I am completely obsessed…
and I leave evidence of this addiction all over my house.
(my poor children!!)
I am 100% in love with books!!
I have three, six foot, six shelf bookshelves in my office….
completely full. No room left- so sad!
So, as I sadly lamenting my situation with a friend,
she had an easy answer to my problem.
She suggested… gasp…. I buy a Kindle!!!
WHAT!! Okay, my bookie friends, back me up here.
For a true book lover, buying an ebook would be like..like…
like a Harley lover buying… a moped. (yes friends and husband… I heard your Amen)!!
I get that they are “convenient”, but really- there is nothing like the feel
and smell… of a new book.
(and friends… I appreciate the suggestions that I need to get out more,
I agree…. outside in the hammock with a book sounds good to me)!!
Ok, ok… sorry- I digress.
So- I bit the bullet- yep- downloaded Kindle on my iPad (no, I did not buy a Kindle,
yes, I do have commitment issues).
And- to my surprise- I didn’t hate it!!
In fact, in the last 6 months- I have downloaded over 150 books onto it (yes, I need help)!
and I’ve actually enjoyed the portability of reading them wherever I am.
Now- I will always prefer a real book (I mean lets not get crazy here),
BUT, I have actually found some great benefits to reading ebooks.
5 Benefits of Ebooks:
- Ok- in honor of Earth Day- Ebooks are good for the environment. Ebooks preserve trees and save on transportation costs associated with the shipping of books. (blah, blah, blah… how much does it really cost to ship a book?…. I mean, yep- good one!!)
- Ebooks are portable- I also have a slight issues with my decision making skills- so now I have many books at my disposal at all times. No need to fret over not having the book I want to read. Help me!
- Ebooks promote self-publishing of books. Many, many authors are getting their words out into the world via ebooks. Publishing has been a difficult obstacle to overcome for many beginning authors. I have found some new favorite reads that were made possible only by self-publication. Yea!!
- Ebooks cost less than typical books. This one makes my husband very happy (and my children too- they will love actually having a college fund).
- Ebooks are perfect for those of us who lack the virtue of patience. They are delivered instantly!! No more 2 day Prime shipping for this girl!!
And… there you have it.
A self-proclaimed book addict- reading ebooks… oh the horror!!
Don’t be afraid friends- take the leap, you won’t be sorry!!