After struggling through math in middle and high school- tackling it as a teacher has been one of my fears as my children exited the easy addition and subtraction and began working toward the more advanced math concepts.
I am always on the look out for any assistance we can get in our math lessons- anything to help me break the more difficult concepts down to digestible pieces. I was thrilled when we were given the opportunity to review a great E-learning math program through the Schoolhouse Review Crew– Professor B Math.
The Professor B Math program was created by Everard Barrett, Associate Professor in the Mathematics Department at the state university of New York. It was created not as a computer game- but as online math curriculum assisting teachers in explaining the basics of math theory to their students.
I decided to use Professor B Math with my 9 year old son- a math enthusiast, but a little lacking in some of the more basic math facts and concepts. The first thing I noticed about the Professor B program was the lack of sound that accompanies the lessons. The idea is to allow the teaching parent to direct the lessons by following along and reading the needed information to the student.
This is a good concept- allowing the teaching parent to be very involved in the learning process. My son, however, really likes a bit more independence in his learning. He struggles a bit with reading so he did need me to help him read along, but he quickly got a bit frustrated with not being able to work on his own.
I think it would be great if the program could offer the option of reading along with a voice, so even if the parent is working alongside the student, the student still feels a bit more independence in the learning process.
The information he gathered from the lessons, however, was a great review for him on some concepts he has struggled with in the past. I think it was great for him to see the information presented in a different way then he learned originally, allowing him to fully understand the concept from several different aspects.
He enjoyed the sense of accomplishment he got from finally understanding things that have been so frustrating to him in the past and I loved that he was really grasping the ideas in a new and different way.
Professor B Math offers Placement Tests to be sure your child begins in the level appropriate to his current understanding of math.
There are three levels offered through Professor B Math:
- Level I- Pre-K through 2nd grade – concepts include: Introduction to Addition/Subtraction Facts – Counting to One Hundred – Lower Addition and Subtraction – Higher Addition and Subtraction – Place Value Fractional Parts & Order – Time – Money
- Level 2- 3rd grade through 6th grade – concepts include: Multiplication/Division Facts and Problem Solving – Introduction to Fractions – Fractional Equivalence – Addition and Subtraction Fractions
- Level 3- 6th grade through 8th grade – concepts include: Multiplication/Division of Fractions – Decimals – Percents
- 1 Level Pricing- $20/month
- 2 Level Pricing- $35/month
- 3 Level Pricing- $45/month
- The Professor B program is great for introducing concepts, supplementing current math curriculum, and keeping skills sharp over summer break.
- The lessons provided are well organized and thought out and they explain concepts simply to allow for the complete comprehension of the math concept being taught.
- The lessons are well-paced and each gives you the option of pausing or skipping sections allowing for the perfect pacing for each student.
- Although each lesson is complete within itself, I am not sure that I would be comfortable with this as a comprehensive program. I think there are some concepts that are missing from the curriculum and I would be more comfortable using this program as a supplement to our math program.
- This program does not allow for independent learning, and although I do understand their desire for the teaching parent to direct the lesson, I think offering the option of allowing the student to work more independently could help certain students get more out of the program.
- I was disappointed that there was no way to track the lessons online. I had to write down which lessons we had completed rather than allowing the program to track it for me. A minor inconvenience but when you are coordinating multiple students it could become an issue.
I did enjoy using this program with my son and I feel he benefited positively from the lessons we completed. I do love the way the concepts “flow like a story” from one lesson to another and the way the concepts build upon themselves in a very natural way.
Web — Facebook
Disclaimer- I received no compensation for this post. I did receive a one year subscription to this program at no charge so I could write this review. The opinions in this post are mine alone and were in no way influenced by outside sources.